August 19, 2022
Shazam turns 20
Shazam turns 20 at present, and as of this week, it has formally surpassed 70 billion tune recognitions. A mainstay in standard tradition, the platform has modified the way in which folks interact with music by making tune identification accessible to everybody. For greater than 225 million world month-to-month customers, to “Shazam” is to find one thing new.
To mark the event, Shazam invitations followers to make a journey down reminiscence lane with a particular playlist comprised of essentially the most Shazamed tune of every calendar yr for the previous 20 years. That includes every part from Prepare’s “Hey, Soul Sister” to Sia’s “Low-cost Thrills,” the playlist is a real reflection of the music followers throughout the globe actively looked for over the previous 20 years. Pay attention now completely on Apple Music.
Through the years, Shazam’s world charts have performed a vital position in serving to to determine breaking new expertise like Masked Wolf, who was certainly one of Shazam’s 5 Artists to Watch in 2021 and ended up having essentially the most Shazamed observe globally that yr with “Astronaut In The Ocean.”
“The truth that folks all around the world took day out of their day to tug out their cellphone and Shazam my songs is a large honor for me as an artist,” stated Masked Wolf. “You already know you’ve obtained one thing particular in case you see the Shazam stats transferring.”
Shazam’s charts have additionally turn into a barometer for sudden popular culture moments. Kate Bush’s 1985 tune “Operating Up That Hill” being featured in “Stranger Issues” led to an all-time peak in Shazams of the singer, and the observe took No. 1 on the Shazam International High 200 for 10 days. It ended up reaching the highest of 25 nationwide charts — greater than some other tune in 2022.
Conserving its finger on the heart beat of music, Shazam has additionally performed a key position in bringing native artists to a world viewers. The longest-running world No. 1 tune of 2021 was “Love Nwantiti [Remix]” by Nigerian artist CKay, which turned the second tune to ever surpass a million Shazams in every week.
“Shazam has performed an impactful position in my profession,” stated CKay. “It allowed tens of millions of individuals all around the world to find me and my distinctive Nigerian sound. It made me a world sensation even earlier than I began to carry out all around the world. The story of CKay can’t be informed with out Shazam connecting me to the world.”
With its continued dedication to innovation over the previous 20 years, Shazam is pioneering new methods to convey followers nearer to the music and artists they love with new instruments just like the live performance discovery characteristic, which spotlights live performance data and tickets on sale for reveals close by, just by Shazaming a tune, or by trying to find it within the Shazam app or web site.
Whereas Shazam stays centered on the way forward for music discovery, at present’s anniversary affords a possibility to look again on the notable moments and milestones that make up its two-decade historical past.
- August 2002: Shazam launches as a textual content message service based mostly within the UK. On the time, customers may determine songs by dialing “2580” on their cellphone and holding it up as a tune performed. They had been then despatched an SMS message telling them the tune title and the identify of the artist.
- July 2008: Shazam launches on the brand-new App Retailer. Shazam later launched its Android model in October 2008.
- April 2015: Shazam turns into accessible on the primary Apple Watch.
- September 2018: Shazam joins the Apple household.
- June 2021: Shazam surpasses 1 billion Shazams per thirty days.
- Could 2022: Shazam surpasses 2 billion lifetime installs.
- August 2022: Shazam celebrates 20 years of music discovery and hits 70 billion all-time Shazams.
- First-ever Shazamed tune: “Jeepster” by T. Rex (April 19, 2002)1
- First Shazamed tune on the iOS app: “How Am I Totally different” by Aimee Mann (July 10, 2008)
- First observe to achieve 1,000 Shazams: “Cleanin’ Out My Closet” by Eminem (September 2002)
- First observe to achieve a million Shazams: “TiK ToK” by Ke$ha (February 2010)
- First observe to achieve 10 million Shazams: “Any individual That I Used to Know” by Gotye feat. Kimbra (December 2012)
- First observe to achieve 20 million Shazams: “Prayer In C (Robin Schulz Radio Edit)” by Lilly Wooden & The Prick and Robin Schulz (October 2015)
- First artist to hit 1 million Shazams: Lil Wayne (February 2009)
- First artist to hit 10 million Shazams: Lil Wayne (June 2011)
- First artist to hit 100 million Shazams: David Guetta (Could 2015)
Quickest Tracks to Accumulate Shazams
- Quickest observe to achieve 1 million Shazams: “Butter” by BTS (9 days)
- Quickest observe to achieve 10 million Shazams: “Form of You” by Ed Sheeran (87 days)
- Quickest observe to achieve 20 million Shazams: “Dance Monkey” by Tones And I (219 days)
Most Shazamed of All Time
- Drake is essentially the most Shazamed artist of all time with over 350 million Shazams throughout songs the artist has led or featured on. “One Dance” is Drake’s hottest observe at over 17 million Shazams.
- “Dance Monkey” by Tones And I is essentially the most Shazamed tune ever with over 41 million Shazams.
- “Loopy” by Gnarls Barkley was essentially the most Shazamed tune utilizing the “2580” textual content service.
High Shazamed Songs by Style
- High Hip-Hop/Rap: “Can’t Maintain Us” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton
- High Dance: “Prayer In C (Robin Schulz Radio Edit)” by Lilly Wooden & The Prick and Robin Schulz
- High R&B/Soul: “All of Me” by John Legend
- High Latin: “Mi Gente” by J Balvin and Willy William
- High Pop: “Let Her Go” by Passenger
- High Different: “Dance Monkey” by Tones And I
- High Singer/Songwriter: “Take Me to Church” by Hozier
- The primary Shazamed tune used the service’s prelaunch public beta.
Apple Media Helpline