Google’s assist doc on controlling your snippets in search outcomes has added some examples of “dangerous” and “higher” meta descriptions.
The dangerous. Google advises avoiding these 4 forms of “dangerous” meta descriptions:
- Record of key phrases: “Stitching provides, yarn, coloured pencils, stitching machines, threads, bobbins, needles”
- Identical description used for each information article: “Native information in Whoville, delivered to the doorstep. Discover out what occurred right this moment.”
- Doesn’t summarize the web page: “Eggs are a supply of pleasure in everybody’s life. After I was a small baby, I keep in mind selecting eggs from the hen home and bringing them to the kitchen. These had been the times.”
- Too quick: “Mechanical pencil“
The higher. Google’s examples of higher meta descriptions:
- Explains what the store sells and particulars like opening hours and site. “Get every little thing you should sew your subsequent garment. Open Monday-Friday 8-5pm, positioned within the Style District.”
- Use a snippet from the precise information article: “Upsetting the small city of Whoville, a neighborhood aged man steals everybody’s presents the evening earlier than an essential occasion. Keep tuned for stay updates on the matter.”
- Summarize the entire web page: “Learn to prepare dinner eggs with this whole information in 1 hour or much less. We cowl all of the strategies, together with: over-easy, sunny aspect up, boiled, and poached.”
- Are particular and detailed. “Self-sharpening mechanical pencil that autocorrects your penmanship. Consists of 2B auto-replenishing lead. Obtainable in each Classic Pink and Schoolbus Yellow. Order 50+ pencils, get free delivery.”
The up to date doc. Google printed its documentation on controlling your snippets in search ends in October. You possibly can see all the brand new additions, right here.
Why we care. Whereas there may be nothing earth-shattering and that is principally simply primary search engine optimization, it’s good to see Google present some extra particular steering on learn how to create useful and descriptive meta descriptions which might be extra more likely to get clicks and visitors. Not that we are able to ever rely on Google to make use of these meta descriptions, after all.
New on Search Engine Land